Re: A mistake buying J6700?

On 2/20/07, Raphaël RIGNIER <raphael@rignier.com> wrote:

> Here,
> we have an old HP9000 L1000 PA-RISC S800 350MHz.
> It was used in education environnement with HP-UX and very robust
> softwares like HP C compiler and Oracle 9.
> When the very expensive HP support as come to end, we switched to
> proliant and redhat 4 :-[ .
>
> Now the platform is used with Debian sarge as Internet gateway
> (squid+postfix+webmail) and disk space is used as i386 Debian mirror.
> The server is robust and it does this job Very well!
> The major reason we keep using it, it's because it has cost about $12
> 000 and it hurts throwing such a heavy, noisy, and expensive machine
> :'( !
>
> nowdays, a $500 laptop could do the job better :'(  :'( !!!! But
> that's computing....

No. The only thing that is still "actual" with these machines is their
robustness. A $500 laptop wouldn't last long. Most of my hppa gear has
never suffered any hw failure afters years of uptime. So, even if
performance wise this hw is clearly outdated, if you're looking for a
machine that you can power up and forget for several years, these
boxes clearly are something to look at.

--
Thibaut VARENE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/