Re: [parisc-linux] List of things that are known no to work on Linux/PA

On 6/17/05, Kyle McMartin <kyle@there.is.no.cabal.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 05:18:49PM +0100, Max Grabert wrote:
> > - NTPL is not yet supported (being worked on)
> > - kernel low-latency/preempt is not yet supported
>
>         Useless.

   Hehe, agreed.
   But this is not supposed to be a wish-list, but rather a list of things
   that people keep asking about.

> > - 64bit userland is not yet supported
>
>         Approximately useless.
>
> > - SMP, expecially on 64bit kernels seems to be rather unstable
>
>         WFM...

   As I don't have a 64bit SMP machine I just mentioned it as it
   used to be a problem for a long time and I haven't noticed that
   it had been resolved. But if it is working now reliably that's great!

> > - on some machines heavy I/O can cause problems
>
>         WFM...

   for me too and probably most others, but Joel's regular mails are proof
   that there are at least some machine/kernel combinations that don't
   work reliably

> > - XFS used to/is still broken
>
>         Apparently not just on HPPA.
>
> > - ide-cd causes HPMC on cd-rom access; use ide-scsi instead
>
>         Was looking into this, ran out of time.
>
> > - Using native XFree86 drivers may cause HPMC, try to use fbdev instead
>
>         As I understand it, this is X, since we don't/can't emulate
>         legacy VGA routing.
>
> > - Using fbdev with XFree86 causes HPMC on 64bit kernels
>
>         This bit me too, and I've yet to have time to look into it.
>
> > - To use onboard sound on B/C/Jxxxx use the snd_ad1889 ALSA driver,
> >    with OSS Emulation (native ALSA interface seems to have problems)
> >

>         Still confused about this

   It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the snd_ad1889 driver,
   but with ALSA itself. I've never been able to get proper sound using
   native ALSA interface (using ad1889 and also usb-audio)

Thanks for the input,
   Max