Re: [parisc-linux] Problems in getting X-Windows to run on HP Visualize 785/B2000 with rebuilt 2.6.12-rc6-pa1 kernel and Matrox Millennum II

On 6/16/05, J. L. Lee <jllee@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I reported that I have set up successfully a Matrox Millennum II
> PCI video card on an HPPA RISC B2000 workstation and was able to connect an
> HP910 to the Matrox Millennum video port running it as a text console.
>
> I tried today to install and configure X Windows and am encountering
> problems. I installed, upgraded and configured the X Windows package (not
> by selecting Debian Software selection's "Desktop Environment" selection
> but selecting X Windows package using Aptitute from the "Manual Selection"
> in the same menu).
>
> I configured X according to the hardware I have and made sure it would boot
> up on Init State 2 and rebooted the B2000 with the Matrox Millennum II card
> inside. It hung after displayed the login prompt and followed almost
> immediately by "Backtrace:" (with no more output)!

I guess the kernel crash results when xdm/XFree86 is being started.
That is what it usually looks like on my machine when I select the wrong
X11 driver.

> I then removed the Matrox Millennum II card and rebooted again. It was
> successful this time with the same configuration files!
>
> Any suggestion on where I should "shoot" next (next actions)?

Perhaps you are not using the fbdev driver for XFree86;
using the mga (=native) driver in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 will crash
the machine (HPMC) when it tries to start X.

 Max