Problems in getting X-Windows to run on HP Visualize 785/B2000 with rebuilt 2.6.12-rc6-pa1 kernel and Matrox Millennum II

Hi,

Yesterday I reported that I have set up successfully a Matrox Millennum II PCI video card on an HPPA RISC B2000 workstation and was able to connect an HP910 to the Matrox Millennum video port running it as a text console.

I tried today to install and configure X Windows and am encountering problems. I installed, upgraded and configured the X Windows package (not by selecting Debian Software selection's "Desktop Environment" selection but selecting X Windows package using Aptitute from the "Manual Selection" in the same menu).

I configured X according to the hardware I have and made sure it would boot up on Init State 2 and rebooted the B2000 with the Matrox Millennum II card inside. It hung after displayed the login prompt and followed almost immediately by "Backtrace:" (with no more output)!

I then removed the Matrox Millennum II card and rebooted again. It was successful this time with the same configuration files!

Any suggestion on where I should "shoot" next (next actions)?

Rgds,
Lee

ps. Last few lines of boot messages captured with the Matrox Millennum II card. If you need the full boot messages for both the boot with and without the Matrox Millennum II card pls let me know. I will send them as attachment to you.

Starting portmap daemon: portmap.

Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference...
System Clock set. Local time: Thu Jun 16 13:48:27 SGT 2005

Initializing random number generator...done.
Setting up X server socket directory /tmp/.X11-unix...done.
Setting up ICE socket directory /tmp/.ICE-unix...done.

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Setting up X font server socket directory /tmp/.font-unix...done.
Starting X font server: xfs.
Starting X-TT font server: xfs-xtt.
Starting Xprint servers: Xprt.
Starting file alteration monitor: FAM.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
Starting WINGs display manager: wdm.
Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 DebianHPPA.example.com ttyS0

DebianHPPA.example.com login:

Backtrace: