Re: Novice-B2600 Install stuck at Kernel Panic

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:41:02AM -0700, Ou Phrontis wrote:
> I took a look in
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/hppa/20050603/
>
> debian-testing-hppa-businesscard.iso        03-Jun-2005 23:07   33M
> debian-testing-hppa-netinst.iso                    03-Jun-2005 23:08
> 149M
>
> I don't understand what these files are, or how I would use them.
> Still just looking for a source of the latest regular sarge iso's

This are bootable images. The "businesscard" is an ISO image
intended to be burned on to a "businesscard" sized CD.
Or course it can be burned onto a regular CD too and booted.
netinstall is another barebones variant that only has basic
stuff on it. ie bootable but requires network access to install
all the interesting packages (e.g. X11, xgalaga, etc :^)

> I have nothing to install from a network install, I've never tried a
> network install,

"Network install"  can mean boot from network and install via network.
I've also seen it mean only base packages install from CD and everything
else requires a Debian mirror accessible via network (vs CDs).

> Would a i386 debian machine be able to provide the network install
> for an HPPA machine.
> Have to get a amachine set up with  i386 debian... woo hoo.

Yes...but booting with NFS root is non-trivial. Don't burn time on it.

You only need to update the image you already have on disk.
You should be able to update that by booting the install CD,
going into the shell, mount your root disk on /target, download
a shiny new kernel from cvs.paris-linux.org/download/linux-2.6/
and unpack that in the root disk. Reboot and select that new
kernel when interacting with palo.

The above is just a coarse outline of what needs to happen.
The PARISC Boot-Howto should be able to fill in most of the
details I omitted.

grant