Re: Novice-B2600 Install stuck at Kernel Panic

Ou Phrontis wrote:

Hi,

Getting a little further.. very slowly.

Downloading my images from here
http://farbror.acc.umu.se/pub/weekly/hppa/
Tried Jigdo, but could only find Woody images.

May be try a recent sarge netinstall iso:
<http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/hppa/>

Download umpteen images.. all showed up being
corrupt, then I turned the machine horizontally
and the install went a little further.
Do you use the internal cdrom reader?
So when you put your box horizontally, the cdrom drive get also an horizontal position?

Suspicious of the CD ROM I swapped it out
for a much slower one and the install completed.

WOO HOO!

Then at completion it asks you to remove media and
reboot.  It's all looking good, nearly ready to
crack a beer....

When I get this message, after it starts the
High Priority Machine Check (HPMC) : Code=1 regs=103dc080
(Addr=00000000)

Then alot of lines beginning with followed by hex
[snip]

Suggestions please.. anything????
I'll type all the hex in if someone needs it as a clue???
Don't take this pain, most probably an old bug fixed in a recent kernel :-)
For my part, I run a recent kernel 2.6.8 (32bit) on a b2k without major pb ;-)

or anything else???
That said, you should still encounter some pb to install your system from the internal cdrom drive, because it's an ide one. When I installed my b2k, I prepare my boot disk from another system with debbootstrap method and adapt kernel parameters for the target system. If you have the opportunity to install an external scsi cdrom drive, you would be able to install more easely your cd. You could also install it with "Booting from network" method decribe in detail into:
<http://www.pateam.org/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO.html>

Hth,
   Joel