ramdisk too small (unix/unix.ko problem) and now sym0: hangs

Hello!

I tried to install Debian on my C3000 this weekend, using the
latest iso images (sarge-hppa-netinst.iso).

When booting from CD the first problem was that the 'kernel' complained
about some missing file:
.../unix/unix.ko

I tried to 'debug' the CD on another linux box and found out that the
unpacked initrd takes more than 16 MB, that is the default for
ramdisk_size.
So I changed that in the IPL (to 32768) and afterwards the installation
seems to work fine.
[There is only a minor problem with the display and editing of strings, e.g when
  changing the default hostname 'debian' I cannot delete the first character 'd'.
  So when changing the hostname from 'debian' to 'test' the display will show
  'dtest' ]

After installating Debian to my SCSI harddisk the system is rebooting.
There are two sym0: lines in the output and than the system 'freezes'

I think normally it should look like this:
sym0: <895a> rev 0x1 at pci 0000:00:0f.0 irq 65         # I have <896>, otherwise it is similar
sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-40, LVD, parity checking   # The same I get on my machine
sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset.                                  # I never get that line, machine freezes before its printed.

Any ideas?

I use Firmware 3.4. There is newer firmware, but I think I have to install
a HP-UX 11.0 depot to get it  - but how to do this when you only have HP-UX 10.20 ...

I will try to get a serial connection this week to a) get some output I can copy&paste easily and
b) try an older set of CDs I got, they don't work in graphics mode ...

[BTW: I also have the  sarge-hppa-businesscard.iso image which downloads packages from the web - will
I get newer kernel or initrd files with this iso image if they are available, or do I have to throw
away both CDs in case I have to wait for newer kernel/initrd images?]

  Erik