Re: Installing Debian on HP9000 vs. HP-UX

-------------------
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:30:18PM -0500, Alfonso Baqueiro wrote:
> > Is Debian HP port good enough to be used in production
> > enviroment on a HP9000?
>
> YMMV.
>
> www.parisc-linux.org (a500) goes down every couple of weeks
> since we upgraded to a 2.6 kernel. But it could be due to the very
> buggy bcm5700 NICs that are installed.
> I've asked those be replaced with HP A6825A (bcm5701) or bcm5703
NICs.
> Other folks have very good experience with 32-bit kernels on
workstations
> (e.g B180,c3000) and 64-bit kernels on servers like a500.

Just for the records:
http://www.pateam.org/realisations.html

If you look at netcraft
(http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?host=www.pateam.org) you'll see
over 380 days max uptime for that webserver (a B180) btw.

I've been stressing both a A500 and a L1000 under heavy load (building
Ubuntu Linux), and 2.6.8.1 proved rock solid. Several hundreds days
uptime on these machines aren't unheard of :)

It's nonetheless true that late kernels, though including new features
and perf improvements, might be a tad more buggy. Feel free to help
fixing the bugs ;)

Here's my personnal MTA (a 712 running postfix/mailman!):
[varenet@FLCL ~]$ uname -a; uptime
Linux FLCL 2.6.0-pa1 #1 Mon Dec 22 14:00:43 CET 2003 parisc GNU/Linux
 09:48:24 up 479 days, 22:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.98, 0.57, 0.32

As you can see, the kernel has been built, the box booted and never
taken down since then ;)

Of course that doesn't prove anything, but that can give hints. In any
case, "Your Mileage May Vary", as Grant said :)

> > Does anyone know of a technical comparision?
>
> Overall, HPUX kernel supports *less* HW (e.g. PCI-PCMCIA adapter
> or wireless cards) and has fewer free SW packages than debian.
> gfx and audio are indeed badly supported by the parisc-linux port
> as already pointed out. But I expect the things that are available
> for HPUX to be solid.

Audio *is* getting better! Harmony works, AD1889 is getting there too
(thanks Kyle! ;)

Of course, video (FX cards) is another story, but hopefully that
doesn't matter much for a *server*.

HTH

--
Thibaut VARENE