Re: Installing Debian on HP9000 vs. HP-UX

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 02:30:18PM -0500, Alfonso Baqueiro wrote:
> Is Debian HP port good enough to be used in production
> enviroment on a HP9000?

YMMV.

www.parisc-linux.org (a500) goes down every couple of weeks
since we upgraded to a 2.6 kernel. But it could be due to the very
buggy bcm5700 NICs that are installed.
I've asked those be replaced with HP A6825A (bcm5701) or bcm5703 NICs.
Other folks have very good experience with 32-bit kernels on workstations
(e.g B180,c3000) and 64-bit kernels on servers like a500.

> I need to compile and run PHP 5.0.4, Postgresql 8.0.2,
> Apache 2.0.52?

I'm not sure I would pick debian if that is your only criteria.

> Anyone has experiment on this?
>
> I need some way to show why debian is better than
> hp-ux for this task, or is not?

Most stuff will "just work" with Debian.  But a few things don't.
e.g. pa8800 support is still not stable (I'm working on it).
YMMV.

> Does anyone know of a technical comparision?

Overall, HPUX kernel supports *less* HW (e.g. PCI-PCMCIA adapter
or wireless cards) and has fewer free SW packages than debian.
gfx and audio are indeed badly supported by the parisc-linux port
as already pointed out. But I expect the things that are available
for HPUX to be solid.

Since we are talking about a production environment, I would base my
decision on the type of support you need, can get, or can afford.
Not the performance or features.

IMHO, Debian is a good choice for many reasons.
But it may not be to just run three apps.

grant