Re: DEBIAN ON HP-9000 VS HP-UX

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 04:25:59PM -0400, Jay Miller wrote:
Hi all,
> >Is Debian HP port good enough to be used in production
> >environment on a HP9000?
> Yes
it is debian

> >I need to compile and run PHP 5.0.4, Postgresql 8.0.2,
> >Apache 2.0.52?
> >Anyone has experiment on this?
> I teach databases and have been very happy using the Debian  hppa port
> on a B2600
>
> >I need some way to show why debian is better than
> >hp-ux for this task, or is not?
> Better is a difficult question.  I used Debian because it was way less
> work to keep updated
> than the hp-ux.  When typing apt-get upgrade occasionally, you really
> don't have to worry about compiling.
consider that hp-ux has got a commercial aim, so it needs to be upgraded
with an official bundle and tools to be kept under control by HP.
Debian has NOT got commercial aim so the developers (great people) has no
worry to commercially fail or to hurry in their job, so they can get the
time to do a good overall work.
Second the contributes for Open Source and Debian come from everywhere in
the world, with no discrimination, so any one is free (freely invited) to help: many helps come from Apache Software Foundation, PHP guys, GNOME or KDE people, so DD acts not only as workers on particular focus, but also as collectors of other people's contribute.

> >Does anyone know of a technical comparison?
> No.  My feeling is that hp-ux may give you slightly better processing
> speed, but that is probably irrelevant.
> With your own time in mind you might search through the hp site and
> look at the difficulties they foresaw
> in merging hp-ux and Tru64.  Then look at the Source Forge and GNU
> sites and see where you feel
> more comfortable in getting help.

hardware support may, in some cases, lack (graphical video cards, for
istance); but as server side, Debian or GNU/Linux in general has got the
respect of the commercial Unixes, in my opinion.

Bye

SteX

--
GPG key = D52DF829    --    SteX    --    <stefano.melchior@openlabs.it>