Re: Debian on rp 7400

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:02:26PM -0600, Conan C. Albrecht wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  At the risk of appearing a bit foolish, may I
> ask another question?
>
> Given your response, if we installed Debian on the 7400 (given SMP
> won't work currently), what would happen?  Would the kernel simply use
> 1 processor and 7 processors will sit dormant?  Or will all 8 be used
> but just not share memory?

If you install an SMP kernel, it will likely crash.
If you install a UP kernel (built w/o SMP support), 7 CPUs would get
ignored.

> I've looked into SMP, but I want to be sure I have a definite answer
> before I make recommendations for the machine.

Donate one to ESIEE or some other place that has too many brilliant
students who don't have anything better to do :^)
Until VM stuff gets fixed, I'd keep running HPUX on the box.
See "The Porting Center" for open source packages in swdepot format.

grant