Vis EG colour depth

Recently I purchased a Visualize EG graphics card - type A4977A - on ebay (purchased from Natech - very good service and well packed). I finally got it running with x windows on my C3000 and I am very happy with it, my only question is, why only 8 bit colour depth? I did a search on the news group archives and discovered that is all the card is capable of but was it a design decision on HP's part? I know these workstations are used for CAD and the like and I'm assuming the colour depth is a trade off to gain greater resolution for design work that probably doesn't need a great colour depth. Any opinions?

Regards,

Daron Edie