Re: Help configuring an HIL mouse on an HP 715. - (Major disaster! - Am I back at ground level 0?)

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 01:05:35PM -0700, Jaime Ash wrote:
> > Check /etc/palo.conf and /boot to verify if 2.4.20 is installed anyway.
> I looked at the contents of /boot and saw several files, including the old
> kernel, "vmlinuz-2.4.20-32" and "vmlinuz-2.4.20-32-smp" (how did the last
> one get there? I only installed "vmlinuz-2.4.20-32"!)

you can safely remove the -smp once your box has booted.

> I  then tried rebooting (by typing "shutdown -r now") but the system never
> came back - the last line on the system monitor, during the reboot process,
> reads:
> HP SDC MLC: Registering the System Domain Controller's HIL MLC.
> But then, the system hangs with only the top green light fully lit, and
> (maybe?) the one below that dimly lit (or does it look that way because it's
> next to a brightly lit LED?)

Maybe. Hopefully helge or esiee folks can reproduce/fix this.

> So, am I fully hosed?

no - tell palo to boot a different (older) kernel. More below.

> Ie. do I need to go back to step 0 and reinstall from
> the first ISO CD?  Is there a way around it, like booting from another CD,
> or a floppy? (I tried booting using the ISO installation CD, and then
> spawning a shell, but I don't know how to proceed from there).

interrupt the PDC powerup until you get "BOOT_ADMIN" prompt.
Specify "boot -i" from the BOOT_ADMIN prompt.
Then palo will give you a menu of options which can be edited.
Change which kernel is being booted and just try different ones.
Read the palo HOW-TO (on the web) for guidance on the interface.

If that fails, boot from ISO. Manually mount the hard disk
Copy different kernels to the mounted /boot and follow above
steps to test them. /etc/palo.conf helps "remember" which kernel
is the default one to boot.

grant