RE: Help configuring an HIL mouse with an HP 715 for GDM?

Hi Grant,

It's great to hear from you again!  (And thanks for your tip!)

Yes, I've decided to upgrade the 715/100 to Debian 3.0 (from 0.9) to try to
get a graphic interface working.  But, as you saw in my email to
Debian-Hppa@Lists.Debian.Org, I had trouble during the installation process,
since it wasn't clear how to match my actual mouse setup against the
available choices in the installation menu.  So, I randomly picked PS/2 for
the mouse connection - unfortunately, GDM would not work at all with that
choice.

After I got your message, I implemented the tips related to the HIL mouse
included in the web page to which you referred me and now GDM gets up all
the way to the point in which you are asked for your Username, but I still
have 2 problems:

1) The cursor doesn't move as I move the mouse.
2) As I type, the characters that appear in the login field do not match the
characters I type (and many of them seem to be invisible).

Any hints?

Jaime

P/S:  One of the instructions in the web page you sent me asks to edit
/etc/gpm.conf and change some of the device and type entries.  But, in my
case, there was no gpm.conf file in the system, at all, so I created one
that only contains the 2 entries shown in that web page:

device=/dev/input/mice
type=imps2