Re: Fwd: Dropping Open MPI 32 bit support

Hi Alastair,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 04:44:05PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
>    See the mail below from the OpenMPI maintainers.
>
>    This would mean our options are:
>    (1) Drop MPI for 32-bit archs.
>
>    (2) Use MPICH for 32-bit archs,  OpenMPI for 64 bit
>
>    (3) Use MPICH for everything.
>
>    My experience is that OpenMPI is more mature for new fabrics, etc (UCX)  -
>    I wasn't able to get UCX to work with MPICH in time for Bullseye, so I'm
>    not favouring (3).  I'd rather not drop MPI for 32-bit systems in general
>    - while I don't expect proper HPC to run on these, its one of the simplest
>    ways of adding parallelism, and there will be systems with large numbers
>    of 32-bit cores.

We're just talking about defaults here, right?

I think if we switch the default to MPICH but make it reasonably easy
for someone to switch to OpenMPI, then that's good enough.

Alternatively, option 2 (so long as we're only talking about defaults)
is fine too.

Dropping MPI for any architecture that we otherwise fully support seems
inappropriate.

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard