Re: Update documentation and information about OFED

Am Montag, den 05.03.2018, 16:12 -0600 schrieb Brian Smith:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Valerio Pachera <sirio81@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I've been looking about ofed mostly to help a friend finding the
> > right
> > package to install on debian.
> >
> > By searchin 'debian ofed' the very first result is:
> >
> > https://pkg-ofed.alioth.debian.org/howto/infiniband-howto.html
> >
> > I wrote to pgk-ofed-devel (as found in the documentation) because
> > the repo
> > isn't available.
> > I got a reply from Brian Smith with good information.
> > Brian points pout that the documentation and the mailing list are
> > obsolete.
> >
> > Is anyone in this group willing to update infomations on alioth?
> > I noticed the proget has been ported to salsa.
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/hpc-team/pkg-ofed
> >
> > The file how-to
> > https://salsa.debian.org/hpc-team/pkg-ofed/blob/master/howto/infinib
> > and-howto.sgml
> > is still refering to alioth.
> >
> > I simply suggest to update or remove obsolete documentation.
> >

> As alioth is marked for decommissioning, it probably needs to be
> configured to permanently redirect those links "somewhere". The salsa
> link that Valerio referenced is the code to generate the infiniband
> howto. Has there been any work done to publish this (and other
> pkg-ofed) documentation on a new server?

I am not aware that any work was done.

I skimmed through the obsolete documentation and here are some thoughts
about the update:

* rdma-core bundles most of the source package
* The packages are available in Debian 10 (buster) and on
  stretch-backports
* The binary package rdma-core takes care of loading all
  the kernel modules
* rdma-ndd (in rdma-core) takes care of naming the node
* If you want newer code, grab it from
  https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core

--
Benjamin Drung
System Developer

ProfitBricks GmbH
Greifswalder Str. 207
D - 10405 Berlin

Email: benjamin.drung@profitbricks.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 125506B.
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Gauger, Achim Weiss.