Re: Bluetile package

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 19.06.2010, 15:04 +0200 schrieb Jan Vornberger:
> > I just uploaded 0.4.1-2, including .desktop and .wm files to register
> > Bluetile as a window manager.
>
> Cool! I was wondering, though: Bluetile is pretty much intended to be
> used with a desktop environment. The way it is set up now, selecting the
> new option in GDM starts Bluetile standalone.

Yes, that is suboptimal.

> Maybe it could be changed to start GNOME + Bluetile? I'm just not sure
> how to handle dependencies then. I don't know if Bluetile should depend
> on all of GNOME - but maybe it can be just one of those lower
> 'recommendations' or what they are called?

Maybe the bluetile-gnome.desktop file can be modified such that is
ignored if /usr/bin/gnome-session is not present. I think there is a
field for that... You could play with "TryExec", see
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html

The second question is how to make gnome use bluetile for just this
session. Possibly by starting bluetile, which then starts gnome-session
and somehow prevents metacity from starting? But sounds not very clean
to me.

Maybe best would be to remove the session entry again and give
bluetile’s welcome screen the option to set (and unset) itself as the
default window manager – similar to how web browsers have been doing it
for a long time now. I can’t tell you the “proper” way of setting the
default GNOME window manager these days. Probably a GConf key.