Re: Darcs bug in alioth

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> Thu Nov 13 13:57:30 BRST 2008  Simon Marlow <marlowsd@gmail.com>
>   * Fix an extremely subtle deadlock bug on x86_64
>   The recent_activity flag was an unsigned int, but we sometimes do a
>   64-bit xchg() on it, which overwrites the next word in memory.  This
>   happened to contain the sched_state flag, which is used to control the
>   orderly shutdown of the system.  If the xchg() happened during
>   shutdown, the scheduler would get confused and deadlock.  Don't you
>   just love C?
>
> I applied the second one to ghc6_6.8.2dsfg1-1 and the bug is not present
> anymore.  As the package is small and it's a very annoying bug, I
> thought that the suggestion from mornfall was a good option.

So the right way to proceed is IMO to do a stable update of ghc6 with the
patch you found. Then once accepted/installed, ask for bin-nmu of darcs in
lenny.

You need to doublecheck with the wanna build team if some sort of bin-nmu
is possible against lenny-proposed-updates or if you have to do it in 2
steps (or manually).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog