What to do with tiny packages?

Hi,

the new OpenGL package version has split out some tiny general purpose
modules: ObjectName, Tensor, StateVar.

ObjectName is especially small, it contains this code:

module Data.ObjectName ( ObjectName(..) ) where

-- | An 'ObjectName' is an explicitly handled identifier for API objects, e.g. a
-- texture object name in OpenGL or a buffer object name in OpenAL.

class ObjectName a where
   -- | Generate a given number of object names, which are guaranteed to be
   -- unused. By generating the names, they become used.
   genObjectNames :: Int -> IO [a]

   -- | Make the given object names available again, declaring them as unused.
   deleteObjectNames:: [a] -> IO ()

   -- | Test if the given object name is currently in use, i.e. test if it has
   -- been generated, but not been deleted so far.
   isObjectName :: a -> IO Bool

Is it really useful to package that in three Debian packages? We could
„inline“ it into haskell-opengl, but then code that uses this class (if
it ever exists) in general will not work properly, I guess.

Skipping the -doc package would cause some parts of the OpenGL API have
the ObjectName class not a link. This would probably acceptable, but for
Tensor or StateVar this might not be desirable. Or should the -doc just
be included in the -dev package? Is hlibrary.mk flexible for that?

I wonder if we can get around the -prof package, without losing the
ability to profile opengl applications. What happens when we ship the
profiling libraries in -dev as well? What problems would that cause?

I wonder if we could not just always include the profiling library in
the -dev package for every package. Are there any drawbacks besides
package size?

Greetings,
Joachim,
who fears the ftp-master’s opinion about too-small packages.

(Or maybe we should not worry too much, given that the large number of
debian packages is just not something to worry about)