Re: AX25

On 01/23/04 08:07:52, Cristiano Tavares - SP wrote:
Hi there.

How can I use my TNC with Debian 3.0r1 woody?

I'm trying to change permanently from windows (YACK) to Linux but I
don't know how to configure it. Can somebody pleas help me?

Well, it depends somewhat on what you want to do. If you just want to run the TNC with a terminal program, you can use minicom and connect the TNC to a serial port.

On the other hand, if you want to run some of the neater applications, you will need to set up the kernel AX.25 features (everything you need is probably already compiled into the Debian kernel as modules) and install ax25-tools, ax25-apps and libax25 (all of which are available as Debian packages). It would be a good idea to install doc-linux- text, which contains the AX25-HOWTO. Unfortunately the HOWTO is not always up-to-date, but it is pretty close for use with a TNC. N8UR has some helpful information on his web site, <http://www.febo.com/packet/linux-ax25/index.html>.

Hopefully this information will get you started, but if (or when) you get stuck, this list and the linux-hams list on kernel.org are good places to ask for additional help.

73,
Bob, N7XY