Re: GNOME 43 updates for Debian 12

On Fri, 26 May 2023 at 15:33:16 -0400, Jeremy Bícha wrote:
> Is anyone intending to work on packaging the GNOME 43 bugfix update
> for Debian 12, more specifically, for Debian 12.1?

I think yes we should, most important packages first (Shell etc. above
random leaf apps). I will try to do some of it, but I cannot cover all
of it myself, so I would really appreciate help (and in particular I'd
prefer it not to be my name on *all* the bookworm-pu requests).

> Should we delay uploading GNOME 44 stuff to Unstable to allow for more
> testing of these updates?

On one hand this would get us more testing; on the other hand, we're
already a couple of months behind upstream, and the longer we wait with
44, the more annoying the update to 45 in the autumn is going to be.

I suspect most of the GNOME team is already running 44 from experimental
anyway (I'm intentionally not, in the hope that I'll notice any last
minute showstoppers) so hopefully it would not be too much of a burden
if we wait until perhaps July before doing 44 in unstable?

    smcv