Re: future of GNOME Flashback and GNOME-2-related packages?

On 06/04/16 20:51, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Similar question for the libraries and infrastructure bits that have
> been superseded upstream and are now discouraged: Gtk 2, libgnome,
> gnomevfs, gconf, gnome-desktop 2 and so on. These are particularly
> annoying because some non-GNOME software that wants to "integrate with
> GNOME" still uses them - for instance see Java, vim-gnome (which is a
> trap, people should probably prefer vim-gtk or even the new vim-gtk3),
> dia-gnome, stardict-gnome.

Those libraries and packages should be removed. We've been doing that for a
while, though progress is slow. See

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org;tag=oldlibs

More help in getting rid of that kind of packages would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Emilio