Re: [Pkg-xfce-devel] Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Mon, 11 Aug, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Thomas Weber <tweber@debian.org> wrote:
Not sure why you'd want to go for third world countries, but let's look at Germany (Aldi is one of the two biggest discounters here): http://www.presseportal.de/pm/112096/2653870/aldi-senkt-preise-fuer-fischprodukte-oel-und-smoothies CD-R Rohlinge (80 Minuten, je 50er Spindel) 5,99 Euro DVD+R Rohlinge (je 20er Spindel) 3,99 Euro That is 0.12 EUR per CDR and 0.20 EUR per DVD.
As you have shown here, it would cost an extra €0.08 to have it on DVD instead of CD.
Also I’ll note for you, that's 86GB for €3.99 or 40GB for €5.99
The cost of a DVD is not some far reaching astronomical price increase, in fact per GB it's cheaper.
Here in the UK I can walk into a poundstore and pick up 4 dvds for a £1. I'm quite sure you can do the same in any $1 dollar, 99cent store. The cd's in that store come in a 5pack for £1.

DVD readers/writers are cheaper now than CD readers/writers ever were.
I don't think it makes sense to ask for the price of one media (which is in Cents), but then assume that the extra cost for a new DVD reader is negligible.

Price is not a valid concern for DVD, in terms of media or drives. Either the CD drive is too old to function or the machine is. (in terms of jessie anyway), you can barely buy second hand CD drives, but DVD drives are a plenty, sure you can buy them NEW for little more than a pack of 50 CD's.

And if it's "machines in the wild with CD drives still" again, we have woody, squeeze and wheezy for them.

I ran woody on my cheap laptop in 2002. it had a DVD drive.

Can we now move on to choosing a DE?

Thanks
Anthony.