Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

(Having booted up a real OS, but still using Google's webmail fake MUA. heh.)

> [...]
> 2014/08/11 7:32 "Joel Rees" <joel.rees@gmail.com>:
>> 2014/08/08 6:58 "Jordi Mallach" <jordi@debian.org>:
>>
>> [...]
>> > systemd embracing: One of the reasons to switch to Xfce was that it
>> > didn’t
>> > depend on systemd. But now that systemd is the default, that shouldn’t
>> > be a
>> > problem. Also given ConsoleKit is deprecated and dead upstream, KDE and
>> > Xfce
>> > are switching or are planning to switch to systemd/logind.
>
> Isn't this essentially the sum of your thesis

That is, isn't this your thesis, in sum?

>> > In addition to this, moving to Xfce now would mean yet another
>> > transition to
>> > a new desktop (if we consider GNOME 2.x → 3.x a transition, which it
>> > is),
>> > which would mean a new round of adapation for users installing Debian
>> > from
>> > scratch, and only after two years after getting used to the GNOME 3
>> > workflow.
>> > jessie's GNOME 3.x release should be a lot more polished than what we
>> > shipped
>> > with wheezy, which means many of the rough edges and annoyances people
>> > may
>> > have found when upgrading from squeeze are probably now ironed out.

So, we should move, yet again, before any CDs get burned, lest anyone
doubt debian's allegiance to the one-true-and-coming-OS?

(I should have held my tongue on that, I suppose, since these are the
dev lists, and I am making some serious requests below.)

>> > Many members of the Debian GNOME team feel shipping Xfce by default
>> > would
>> > mean regressing in a few key areas like, as mentioned before,
>> > accessibility,
>> > localisation and documentation of the default set of applications. We
>> > are wary
>> > about the state of some features of the current default with respect
>> > to power management and bluetooth, for example. These features are
>> > driven by,
>> > and working since day 1, by GNOME 3.12.
>> >
>> > Jordi
>> > --
>> > Jordi Mallach Pérez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
>> > jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/
>> > GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/

Two years from now, your list of reasons might make sense.

Right now, there has been no time to gather the sort of statistics
needed to support your assertions.

But, and I mean this seriously, since debian has made the move to
systemd, it seems to me that your assertions are superfluous. It makes
no sense not to make Gnome3 the default DE.

That means, I think, that it also makes no sense to have a CD install
image other than netinstall.

It would be nice if the install media made DE options a little more
accessible than is currently the case.

I'm not sure if my memories here are from debian, but it seems to me
that it used to be fairly easy to select, say, a desktop productivity
set of initial packages and then go in and change the DE from Gnome2
to XFCE.

Last time I tried the easy install, I didn't see any way to do that,
and I ended up having to remove Gnome3 and install XFCE after the
first boot.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.