Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On 08/08/14 00:29, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014, Jordi Mallach wrote:
>> Well, it's roughly that time. :) So I'd like to plainly request GNOME
>> is reinstated as the default desktop environment for a number of
>> reasons.
>
> One of the reasons put forward for switching to Xfce was size on the
> installation images; could you (and/or debian-cd) address this?
>
> Specifically:

> 1) Would you want the default CD/DVD image to use a GNOME
> even if GNOME was unable to fit on a single image?

I think the first CD/DVD should have whatever we choose as the default.

> 2) Would the GNOME
> team consider a less-complete DE for cases where image size is a
> restriction?

Yes. If there wasn't enough space, we could drop some not very important modules
(e.g. a few games), try a stronger compression ratio, symlink /usr/share/doc
directories... We'd need some numbers here but we could work something out.

Cheers,
Emilio