Re: Affected by gnome-shell lockups on wheezy?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:58:31PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> despite some workarounds added to the gnome-shell package, some users
> have still complained of more or less frequent deadlocks of the shell
> (usually 10 minutes after login), forcing them to fall back to GNOME
> Classic or other desktops.
>
> We know vaguely where this comes from, and it should be fixed in GNOME
> 3.8, but in the meantime we can improve the situation in wheezy.
>
> If you have been affected by such deadlocks, please test gnome-shell
> 3.4.2-11 in unstable. I can also provide wheezy packages if needed. If
> the deadlock happens, it should now soon after login, and the shell
> should restart after 10 seconds instead of remaining locked. It’s still
> far from perfect, of course, but it should be a big improvement over
> losing the session.
>
> If the tests are conclusive, we’ll upload this fix into wheezy in the
> next point release.

I'm using gnome-shell 3.8.3 from experimental I'm still seeing lockups
every now and then.  Not sure whether it's the same issue, but it's
annoying, it's rather frequent, and now with the workspace grid and
weather notification extensions rectifying the shortcomings of the
default behaviour I'd be very disappointed to have to abandon
gnome-shell.

Is there anything I can do to help debug this issue (unless it's
completely unrelated and should be filed separately).

Kind regards, David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //