Re: Making GNOME 3 fallback mode not suck

Le vendredi 11 janvier 2013 à 21:16 +0100, Johannes Rohr a écrit :
> Well, I have played around with fallback mode a bit now, and I have to
> admit that it seems very unstable, with the panel crashing all the
> time, and there are just too many feature of GNOME 2, which don't work
> anymore as expected, so it is probably not such a good idea to
> encourage its use.

If the panel crashes, please report a bug with the stack trace. The
fallback session is supposed to work with all functionality for the
wheezy cycle and we will treat bugs as such.

I’ve been personally using this setup on 2 machines on a regular basis,
with very few problems (much less than with squeeze).

> Am 11.01.2013 17:36, schrieb Jeremy Nickurak:
>
> > It's worth keeping in mind that the fallback mode the Gnome
> > developers had provided in 3.0-3.6 is being removed in 3.8,
> > in favour of a strictly gnome-shell based desktop. Even on systems
> > that lack hardware acceleration, software rendering of these
> > elements is reportedly very quick.

Software rendering only works on x86 systems.

We are currently working with other distributions on ways to keep the
fallback mode working in the long term. Upstream is not hostile to that
approach.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette