Re: gnome fallback, etc??

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 09:36 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 29 juin 2012 à 01:21 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> > Some time ago the fallback version
> > was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.
>
> Huh? This had only been the case for a few weeks and only in
> experimental

I installed the gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell-extensions on my
laptop, but have not found any way to disable 3D (the graphics card is
slow, and main memory is only 1GB). Is it possible, or do I have to
install a non-3D libgl-package to disable direct rendering?

> > BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
> > Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
> > gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
> > still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
> > there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
> > and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).
>
> You have to understand that the “GNOME” and “GNOME Classic” sessions are
> based on different software (resp. shell and panel). With the shell, you
> enable extensions using gnome-tweak-tool. With the panel, you can edit
> it like with GNOME 2.

Thanks, I'm happily using gnome-fallback now. The only difference seems
to be that <alt><rightclick> is needed when accessing the panel compared
to <rightclick> before.