Re: getting rid of the gnome-shell network-manager dependency

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

>>> yesterday
>>
>> Hmm, it still wasn't fixed in my update today ... maybe it hasn't
>> percolated through to the mirror I use?
>
> network-manager (0.9.4.0-3) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * debian/patches/12-initialize-gerror.patch: Initialize GError, else invalid
>     free() crash can occur. Fixes the crash in gnome-shell if NetworkManager
>     is not running. Patch cherry-picked from upstream. (Closes: #665791)
>     Thank a lot to Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho for tracking down this problem!
>   * Remove explicit Build-Depends on gir1.2-glib-2.0 and gir1.2-freedesktop,
>     let libgirepository1.0-dev pull those dependencies.
>
>  -- Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>  Tue, 03 Apr 2012 20:20:13 +0200
>
> You still might have the old version of the library loaded.
> So after upgrading to 0.9.4.0-3, you need to restart
> gnome-shell.

I'm a little confused by this ... since this fix seems to be in NM,
does this mean that network-manager still needs to be installed, but
can not be running?  [Before I didn't have NM installed at all, and
gnome-shell worked fine.]

If so, how does one put NM into this non-running state, and still
retain a working network (including automatic NFS moutns at boot,
etc)?  My impression was that NM hooked itself into the boot process
and disabled the other network handling ... e.g. it did this to
/etc/network/interfaces at install time:

   #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Thanks,

-miles

--