Re: Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

On 22 December 2011 07:02, Dennis Carr <dennisthetiger@chez-vrolet.net> wrote:
> Currently, if I offload photographs from my digital camera, Nautilus
> will happily auto-rotate the icons in such a way that it thinks is
> correct, and when viewing in the image viewer, it reflects that
> they've been rotated. Well, it looks nice, except for one thing
> - it's only rotating the metadata, it doesn't actually rotate the
> picture.  So imagine my amazement when most of my photos are *sideways*
> after uploading them to a webpage.
>
> Ultimately, I need to change this behavior - either the photos should
> actually rotate beyond the metadata level, or they shouldn't rotate at
> all, allowing me to manually go through my photos and manually rotate
> them.
>
> How do I change this?

How and why would GNOME rotate the image content?  In this scenario
Nautilus is auto-rotating for display the thumbnail (which if it was
extracted from a thumbnail in the file is already correctly rotated)
but your web server isn't auto-rotating.  Note that e.g. Flickr will
correctly rotate images for display when you upload them.

Ross