Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

Running 2.30 in Debian Squeeze (Stable).

Currently, if I offload photographs from my digital camera, Nautilus
will happily auto-rotate the icons in such a way that it thinks is
correct, and when viewing in the image viewer, it reflects that
they've been rotated. Well, it looks nice, except for one thing
- it's only rotating the metadata, it doesn't actually rotate the
picture.  So imagine my amazement when most of my photos are *sideways*
after uploading them to a webpage.

Ultimately, I need to change this behavior - either the photos should
actually rotate beyond the metadata level, or they shouldn't rotate at
all, allowing me to manually go through my photos and manually rotate
them.

How do I change this?

-Dennis Carr