Re: A Debian sprint for package management GUIs?

Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2011, 00:01 +0100 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> Hi,
>
> given the poor state of our desktop package management tools in squeeze,
> and the number of unknown variables when it comes to wheezy, I’d like to
> propose to gather around in a dedicated Debian sprint on this topic. We
> should be able to get funding from the project for such a task.

Hello Josselin,

Sounds like a good idea. I would like to take part in such a meeting -
depending on my available time (I am working in shifts).

Michael, Julian and me already already started preparing updates to the
software-center/aptdaemon stack. The hardcoded Canonical parts in
software-center have been made optionally.

As posted by Michael Canonical offers to host ratings and reviews for
Debian packages. The server side is under AGPL3 but requires a launchpad
account to make a comment or rating [1]. Would need some investigation
if this can be hosted on a Debian server with a more general OAuth
authentication.

At the AppStream sprint in spring OCS open collaboration services [1]
was chosen as the target API for the non-Canonical software-center
ratings and review system. But the server side doesn't look very good
currently: midgard2 doesn't support the PHP middleware yet. Working
opensocial implementation can be found at formeego [3] or at opendesktop
[4].

Furthermore aptdaemon now also provides the PackageKit system D-Bus
interface by reusing the old PackageKit apt backend and mapping
aptdaemon transactions. You can already use gpk-application and
gpk-update-viewer with aptdaemon. [5] So you will very likely see a
wider adoption of the PackageKit api in Ubuntu.

Gnome-codec-installer was replaced by session-installer in Ubuntu now
since session-installer was ported to GTK3 and provides some unique
features like handling of only partially provided codecs and promoting
the codecs which are supported best.

Cheers,

Sebastian

[1] http://reviews.ubuntu.com