Re: on tracker-gui

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:02, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Josselin once mentioned that it's preferable to have a meta-gnome2
> alternatives if the new entrant is a drop-in replacement. In the case
> of meta-gnome2 2.30+2, tracker-gui is set to be an alternative of
> gnome-search-tool, even though it's not even close to
> gnome-search-tool offers, and will be removed from Tracker in favor of
> some other supposedly superior UI. Any justification?

Forgive me for the noise. I think my thoughts on TST were unfair. In
preparing a reply, I actually went on to have a look at both, and
concluded that TST really has more going for it. The only win that GST
has is fine-grained search (things like search filtering, exact phrase
search, and a few other things that are IMO are not so important).

I even felt like a hypocrite since I use it far more often than I use
GST. I guess it's a matter of trade-offs. You don't want someone
finding a replacement that simply lacks the features of a search tool
she's used to, even though it's better in other aspects ("where's my
primitve GST? who needs this shiny TST thing").

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com