Re: gsettings-desktop-schemas

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 11:36 +0200, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am packaging LaTeXila, a LaTeX editor for GNOME. In the latest
> version, the upstream author rewrote all this program, switching to Vala
> instead of C, plus did some other changes.
>
>     [1] http://latexila.sourceforge.net/
>
> One of these changes makes LaTeXila depend, at runtime, on
> gsettings-desktop-schemas [2]. This is “a collection of GSettings
> schemas for settings shared by various components of a desktop”, not yet
> packaged on Debian. It did not know what GSettings was, but it seems to
> be a replacement for GConf.
>
>     [2] http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/gsettings-desktop-schemas/0.0/
>
> GSettings seems to be already used somehow by some programs such as
> empathy, gnome-shell and nautilus-sendto, according to apt-file:
>     empathy: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.Empathy.gschema.xml
>     gnome-shell: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.shell.gschema.xml
>     nautilus-sendto: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.Nautilus.Sendto.gschema.xml

nautilus-sendto needs GSettings, but not the gsettings-desktop-schemas.

> I tried to use gsettings-desktop-schemas from source, but it needs
> compiling, with a tool called gschema-compile, that is not yet packaged
> too.

gsettings-desktop-schemas contains desktop-wide configuration options
that used to live in different places, in GConf, such as gnome-session,
gnome-vfs, or libgnome.

> Do you know if there are plans to package these? I think they will get
> more used on the future, and maybe become mandatory for GNOME.
> Unfortunately, I do not know these GNOME things very well.

GSettings, and the gschema-compile tool, are available in GLib starting
somewhere in the 2.25.x releases. Debian probably needs a glib2 update.