Re: ENV for gconftool-2

Le mercredi 11 mars 2009 à 13:24 -0400, Rick Pasotto a écrit :
> For a long time (1+ years) I have had a cron job run a script every 15
> minutes to change my desktop background. Recently it stopped working.
> The script still runs but the background image is not changed. If I run
> the script from the command line it behaves as ususal.
>
> Evidently there is some ENV variable that gconftool-2 needs to change
> the background. What might it be?
>
> The script line that changes the background:
>
> /usr/bin/gconftool-2 -t str --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename $FileName
>
> The installed version of gconftool-2 (included in gconf2):
>
> gconf2: Installed: 2.24.0-7

This is because GConf now uses D-Bus to locate the server. The actual
contents of the GConf key is changed, but the applications are not
notified since your script doesn’t use the same GConf server.

Theoretically, this might just work if you pass DISPLAY=:0 (if your
session is running on :0) to the gconftool command; D-Bus should be able
to locate everything it needs using X settings.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has been released!
: :' :