Re: Recent upgrade in Lenny botched CJK fonts

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 08:50 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 09 décembre 2008 à 07:35 +0900, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :
> > > If some CJK fonts are missing on your system, you should simply install
> > > the corresponding ttf-* font packages.
> >
> > Thanks, that did it.
> >
> > This seems like a very significant change this long after the freeze,
> > which could make a lot of users unhappy.  A few issues:
> >       * Is it prominent in the release notes?
>
> I thought etch was not affected by this issue since I uploaded
> specifically a fix targeted for it (2.3.2-7), but I just checked in a
> clean etch chroot, and it looks it was broken in the meantime before the
> release. So maybe this should be in the release notes, indeed.

Thanks.  Can I assume you'll take care of this, or could you use a hand?

> >       * Will the release managers accept changes to packages, e.g. *-ja
> >         packages adding "Suggests: ttf-japanese-gothic" or -mincho?
> >       * Where are the old bitmap fonts so I can get rid of them?
> >         They're nowhere in my debfoster list, so packages must still
> >         depend on them.  Can we get rid of dependencies on old bitmap
> >         fonts before the Lenny release as well, so it's obvious to users
> >         that they're no longer needed?
>
> That would be the xfonts-* packages. You only need xfonts-base so that
> the X server can find “fixed”.

Thought so.  But I couldn't find any installed xfonts-* packages
suggesting CJK, so I don't know where those bitmap fonts came from.

I'll test the effects of removing selected xfonts-* packages,
something's bound to break somewhere...

Thanks,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/