Making flash drive automatically appear on gnome desktop

I'm wondering: Is anyone running lenny/sid (unstable) able to connect their flash drive and have it automatically appear on their gnome desktop? I've tested, and a flash drive connected on a fully updated stable system (etch) automatically appears on the desktop while it does not on my fully updated unstable (amd64) system. Is there some package responsible for this functionality that I might be missing? Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.

--
José Alburquerque