Re: Compiz doesn't start when I log in

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 18:49 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 09:05 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Compiz doesn't work when I log out (and kill all remaining processes I
> > own) and log back in.  The screen blinks a couple of times, but there's
> > no window manager.
> >
> > .xsession-errors shows several repeats of:
> >
> > /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
> > /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
> > /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
> >
> > However, when I run "compiz &" from the command line, it works
> > perfectly.  Why would that be?
>
> Because compiz.real (the actual compiz binary) only sees the
> GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension if the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
> environment variable is set, which is done by the /usr/bin/compiz
> wrapper script.

I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

> > But running the compiz.real CloneCommand instead of "compiz &" fails in
> > the same way as shown above.
> >
> > How can I add whatever magic is in /usr/bin/compiz to make this work
> > from the session manager, so I don't have to run it from the command
> > line?
>
> Probably by somehow making the session manager call the wrapper script
> instead of the actual binary.

Okay, but is this kind of kludge/workaround necessary for most people?
Ubuntu somehow gets it right on the same machine.

Cyril, thanks for the reminder, I've used fusion-icon before, and now
that it's back in testing I'll get it again.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/