GNOME apps in lenny frequently freeze; panel unusable

Greetings,

I just bought a shiny new amd64 laptop (Intel Core2 Duo), and installed
etch from the CD, then upgraded to lenny, all within the past two weeks.
The laptop is pretty fast, and can run Compiz decently (using Intel
GM965/GL960 graphics).

However, several functions in GNOME ore very slow.  Apps take 10-30
seconds to start, with no discernable load or CPU activity.  Evolution
freezes every few minutes for up to three minutes.  Worst of all, after
30-60 minutes, the panel stops functioning, with strace showing only:
"restart_syscall(<... resuming interrupted call...>".

I don't remember seeing mention of such issues on this list or
elsewhere.  My question is: where do I start to diagnose the problem?
Because apps like metacity and emacs don't experience the frequent
pauses, my inclination would be to start with GNOME, but what to look
for there?

Thanks,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/