Re: Etch -> lenny upgrade glitches: small fonts, dummy panel icons, screen blank to white

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 16:09 +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 2:04 PM, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> wrote:
> > Greetings,
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm afraid I deleted the little icons of problem 2, so I destroyed
> > information needed to diagnose that problem. :-(  But how can I help to
> > resolve the other two?
> >

> If i got it right, the DPI is now calculated instead of using a
> default value (96?).
>
> If your monitor and video card don't report/read the correct display
> size, you can force it adding a "DisplaySize" entry in the Monitor
> section of your xorg.conf (in millimeters, man xorg.conf for the
> details). And look if you have a DPI entry key in your gconf.

Oh, I'm sure I can fix it myself, either by adjusting the font size or
using gconf as described in the followups to Amir's post last September.
But the point is: for myself and Amir and many others, X will get the
DPI setting wrong.  Is there a way we can recognize that it's happening,
and work around it -- say by using the old defaults -- so it's more
likely right the first time?

We don't want to get flooded by reports of those who develop this
problem when lenny is released.  And for that matter, we don't want
people to have this problem with a fresh install and say "Debian sucks,
let me look elsewhere".  It's all about the users, that's at the top of
the Social Contract, right?

Oh -- and I accidentally synced my GNOME desktop files from my desktop
machine still running etch to my laptop upgraded to lenny.  The good
thing about this is that the laptop has the funny dummy icons on the
panel again, so we can diagnose and fix/prevent it.

Thanks,
Adam

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/