Re: Printer management plans?

Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 à 20:57 +0200, Sven Arvidsson a écrit :
> At the moment gnome-cups-manager is used, but it is in need of some
> serious love. As an example, printing test pages have been broken for
> quite a while (bug 379510).

AFAIK this is fixed in the SVN, but someone really needs to upload the
package.

> gnome-cups-manager also haven't had any
> upstream releases for a long time.

For a good reason: this software is mature. I think we should try to fix
the bugs in it rather than dropping it in favor of a less polished
application, just because it is newer.

The real problematic thing in gnome-cups-manager is gnome-cups-icon
which polls the server every 5 seconds; it has to do so because of a
fundamental design problem in CUPS, but this is a terrible thing for
laptops and for large networks.