GTK 2.12 and Pango

I just updated my debian unstable system, and included in the updates was libgtk to version 2.12.  Now when I try to launch some applications (including Eclipse and  gnome-appearance-properties) I get the following error:

gnome-appearance-properties: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: pango_extents_to_pixels

I posted this on a gtk mailing list and it was suggested that I may be running and older version of pango, although I have the latest unstable version there too, 2.18.2-1.

Thoughts?

cheers,
ian