Re: gnome-panel pixmap usage

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 05:19:56PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> writes:
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2007, Miles Bader wrote:
> >> So does anybody have a clue why gnome-panel would be using so much
> >> pixmap memory?  Does it have known pixmap leaks?
> >
> >  Perhaps one of your applet leaks pixmaps; if you graph it over time,
> >  or simply compare the values after restarting gnome-panel, you might
> >  tell for sure whether it's a leak.
>
> I've been watching the value, and it seems to be increasing, but only
> slowly (now, for instance, it's 88MB instead of 85MB).  This X session
> was started about a week ago, so I guess even a slow leak might have
> reached 85MB by now...
>
> Do applets in the panel generally share the same (gnome-panel)
> process/x-window?  I've noticed some applets seem to show up as separate
> processes with their own xrestop entry, e.g., I see the following in
> xrestop:
>
> 1200000     8   30    0   37   17      849K      1K    850K  2889 multiload-applet
> 1400000     5   27    0   31   15      491K      1K    492K  2891 mixer_applet2
>
> Other than those two, all I have is pretty standard stuff:
>
>   * The gnome menu button
>   * 4 "launcher" icons
>   * The task list
>   * The standard clock/date display
>
> Ok -- I just did "killall gnome-panel" and the new gnome-panel seems to
> be using much less pixmap memory: now it's using about 3 MB.  I'll watch
> it for a while, but it's certainly smelling like a leak to me at the
> moment....

3MB still sounds a lot; according to xrestop, my gnome-panel(s) (one on
top, one at the bottom) uses a bit more than 500k, and that's with
screensaver applet, fast user switch, gnome menu, 5 launchers, system
monitor, desktop switcher, volume applet, weather applet, zeroconf
discovery, clock/date, notification area, window selector, and show
desktop button.

Do you have evolution installed?  It might be the evolution<->date/time
coupling that causes the leak (guessing wildly here).

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //