Re: Mounting USB disks

Do you have the unstable version gparted installed? If so, and you use hal (hardware abstraction layer), gparted installs the file gparted-disable-automount.fdi in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy. This sets the volume.ignore hal flag on all devices that are hotpluggable.

This was a very annoying problem to pinpoint, but it's not really a bug. gparted just doesn't tell you about it.

simply removing the file and restarting hal makes automount work, but this may not be advisable. Personally, I removed and purged the gparted package, since I don't really need it.

Think I'm going to file a bug or something with gparted, since this is a very drastic decision to make as default configuration.

  - Jeremy