Re: Starting DBus from gnome-session instead of Xsession

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:41:54AM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  Yes, starting dbus from gnome-session is a broken design, but it will
>  work in more cases than the current way of starting it, and it will
>  more consistent across distributions; I think we would benefit from
>  switching to this startup style.

Your obviously correct in this, we should care about our users :). But before
switching to this style i'd like to take some time to find out what exactly
breaks when gnome-session _doesn't_ start dbus. So we can raise our concerns
nicely with upstream and tell them what to fix :)

The upstream bug reports the gnome-keyring socket env var as one
of the reasons, but currently gnome-keyring supports socket discovering magic
though dbus.. So that should be fine.

The other thing is that the SESSION_MANAGER env var isn't set. And there seems
to be an issue with system sounds through esd (although it's unclear if it's
related).

  Sjoerd
--
I THINK THEY SHOULD CONTINUE the policy of not giving a Nobel Prize for
paneling.