Re: Content related to GNOME Desktop in Etch Release Notes

Le mardi 20 mars 2007 à 02:00 +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña a
écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to know if there is any relevant information (besides #387921)
> that should be documented in Etch's Release Notes related to GNOME.
>
> Specifically, are there any known or potential issues that should be
> documented when uprading from GNOME 2.8 (sarge) to 2.14 with 2.16 modules
> (etch)?

I'm not aware of any radical changes. I've done a 2.8 -> 2.14 upgrade
some time ago and it went like a charm.

> Should users with a heavily customised GNOME desktop expect their desktop to
> remain unmodified after the upgrade?

Yes, mostly.

> What benefits would users lose if they preserve the GNOME configuration from
> sarge? (gnome-volume-manager? update-notifier?)

G-v-m was already in sarge, but it is automatically started when
installed. As for update-notifier, it is more an annoyance than a
feature, but it is autostarted as well if installed.

The most important change I can think of is the replacement of
xscreensaver by gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver. Installing
them is enough to get them started as a replacement, but the
metapackages dependencies allow you to keep only xscreensaver.

Thanks for doing this tedious documentation work.
Cheers,
--
 .''`.