Re: RFC: gnome-dbg

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I don't see anything futuristic here. See bug#407701 for a generic way
> to achieve this. My idea was then to write a nautilus extension to look
> up for a package able to read a given MIME type, and to spawn synaptic
> to install it.

 What I meant with generic / futuristic was something like a library
 wrapping "requests for feature" to "packages" and perhaps offering UI
 to spawn the package manager as well.  What you did in #407701 could
 be /repeated/ for other problems of course.

 On a related note, your solution does not work for packages hosted in
 disabled / not listed APT repositories; I think the Ubuntu spec goes
 further than that and ship the actual mappings to offer access to
 codecs in non-default repositories (multiverse) and commercial
 repositories; well, from what I understood of it at least.

> Isn't the Ubuntu thing sending the dumps to their own servers, so that
> they can be matched to debugging information? If so, I think this is
> unacceptable wrt. user privacy.

 Hmm, I don't think so either; I understood that it's just like sending
 an attached core dump in your bug report.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>