Re: GNOME 2.16 in Experimental

Le mercredi 29 novembre 2006 à 12:00 +0100, Jerome Warnier a écrit :
> I'm particularly eager to see GNOME 2.16 released with Etch, if that's
> still possible after all (officially, we are only a few days ahead,
> right?).

There is still a lot to do to have GNOME 2.16 mature enough for a stable
release, and I still feel the decision to ship GNOME 2.14 was the right
one. This is in no way an official statement from the GNOME team, but
here is my view of the state of GNOME 2.16.
      * GTK+: I've just received a patch for the most annoying bug
        (missing icons in the file chooser). However I'm afraid the
        filechooser API is still a nest for many other ones.
      * Gnome-VFS: this one was moved to DBUS, which is an important
        change, but I haven't noticed any regressions so far. However,
        to benefit from the improvements nautilus needs to be updated as
        well.
      * Icon themes: the icon naming scheme was entirely switched to
        Tango, but only for the default theme. Which means there is a
        lot to do to have other working icon themes. Help to migrate
        especially Gorilla, Gartoon and Nuvola is welcome.
      * gnome-themes: several themes have been removed without a clean
        upgrade path. This one is probably the matter of a few symbolic
        links.
      * evince: needs more testing. I noticed some issues with djvu
        support, but this may be bearable, or we could deactivate it. It
        also needs libpoppler1 which affects TeX as well.
      * control-center: this one is rumoured to be horribly buggy. I can
        tell at least that the gswitchit code doesn't work *at all*.
        Even given enough delay for the rest of the work (which is
        unlikely), I'm not sure this one (and gnome-session which is
        entangled with it) could make it, and I don't know whether it
        will make it to unstable before 2.18.
      * Many packages depend on either GTK+, gnome-icon-theme, gnome-vfs
        or all of them, this is what is blocking most of them.

--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"