Cutting down GNOME 1 packages
With gnucash for GNOME 2 in unstable, it's time to think about
what can be done to reduce the number of GNOME 1 packages once
new gnucash hits testing.
Especially since Thomas Bushnell will be hoping to drop
most of the GNOME 1 packages he picked up.
So far this is what I've come up with. All this applies only
after gnucash 2.0 enters testing!
* gtkhtml -- entire source package only used by gnucash and
libgtkhtml-perl. This is the GNOME 1 version; the GNOME 2
version is in the gtkhtml3.8 package.
* libgtkhtml-perl -- unused. This is generated by the libgtk-perl
New maintainer of libgtk-perl Cc:ed. Bart, if you want to keep generating
libgtkhtml-perl, please consider adopting gtkhtml, as you're the last user of
it. Alternatively, stop generating libgtkhtml-perl, and we can get rid of
gtkhtml. Or update it to a GNOME 2 version, but I think libgtk-perl is
strictly for GNOME 1.
* libglade-bonobo0 and libglade-bonobo0-dev -- unused. These are
generated from the libglade source package. (Other packages generated
from the same source package are used.) Perhaps these could be
* bonobo-conf -- this exists only for the purposes of bonobo, and
as noted below bonobo should go away. So this should go away.
* bonobo -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash, gtkhtml,
libglade-bonobo0, and bonobo-conf are gone.
* guppi -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash is gone.
* gwrapguile -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash
* python-gnome-1.2 -- this is currently depended on only by
gnome-tasksel, which has a bug open requesting upgrade to GNOME 2.
So this is planned to go away soon. (And I would prioritize this
because of the possible removal of libcapplet, below.)
This is independent of gnucash.
* python-gdk-imlib-1.2 -- from the same source package, this is
depended on only by python-gnome-1.2.
* libcapplet -- entire source package is used only by
python-gnome-1.2 and gtkhtml.
After all these are removed, the heaviest remaining users of GNOME 1
libraries will be as follows. Perhaps some of them would like
to adopt the remaining GNOME 1 packages. ;-)
Remaining users of libgal23:
These will be the only remaining users of anything in the gal0.x
source package. The yank maintainer has been inactive since 2003.
Hamish Moffatt, the gpredict maintainer, will probably want to
Remaining users of libgnomeprint15:
- libgnome-print-perl (no reverse deps, should be dropped)
Remaining users of libglade-gnome0:
Remaining users of libgnomemm1.2-9c2 (gnomemm source package):
Finally, complete list of remaining non-library users of libgnome32
(after those discussed above are removed):
In addition, a few packages depend on the perl bindings:
I believe this is the sum total of all remaining GNOME 1 packages
(not to be confused with GTK 1.2 packages, of which there are a lot