Re: Gnome 2.12 & Python

Em Sex, 2005-10-28 às 14:33 -0600, Dave Loftis escreveu:
> Thanks for the answer.  Not that I'm happy about it (not anyone's
> fault here), but I would love some opinions...

Why are you so unhappy about having python? Why do you think it's so
much trouble (to the point of being someone's fault to have it)?

> It does not appear to me that there is any other python built into
> core (desktop) packages for gnome (I found some things in vte &
> doc-utils), and it strikes me as a bit less than a great idea to
> include as core functionality, tools which are not compiled (as the
> rest of the system is).
>
> As such, I am curious about the Debian take on puling the menu editor
> out of gnome-menus and creating a package gnome-menu-editor which can
> be installed as a separate tool (since I believe that this is what it
> really is).
>
> I plan on doing this for myself, but I would love to hear any input
> about this as a move for the official gnome branch in Debian?

Stuff written in Python is gradually being integrated into the desktop
release of GNOME (you'll probably notice this more easily for 2.14), and
noone seems to have anything against it. I guess you're just running
away from something you'll unadvoidably have to come across in the
future.

--
Guilherme de S. Pastore (fatalerror)
<guilherme.pastore@terra.com.br>